Byron Coast Waters Weather

Forecast

Byron Coast: Point Danger to Wooli

Issued at: 19/10/2017 15:12.

A strong high pressure system lies over the Tasman Sea, while a trough and associated cold front approach New South Wales from the west. This pattern is bringing east to northeasterly winds to coastal parts, fresh to strong in many areas. A vigorous southerly change associated with the frontal system should reach the southern coast early Friday morning, continuing through central parts during the afternoon, and continue to the Queensland border early Saturday. Behind this, a new high in the Bight will extend a ridge into New South Wales during the weekend.
Thursday, 19/10/2017
Winds East to northeasterly 10 to 15 knots.
Seas Below 1 metre.
Swell Easterly 2 metres.
Weather Partly cloudy.
Friday, 20/10/2017
Winds North to northeasterly 10 to 15 knots turning northerly during the morning. Winds reaching up to 20 knots inshore in the evening.
Seas Below 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres south of Cape Byron by early evening.
Swell East to northeasterly 1.5 to 2 metres, decreasing to 1.5 metres around midday.
Weather Partly cloudy. 70% chance of rain south of Cape Byron, 30% chance elsewhere.
Saturday, 21/10/2017
Winds Northerly 15 to 20 knots shifting southerly 20 to 30 knots early in the morning then tending south to southeasterly 20 to 25 knots in the late afternoon.
Seas 1 to 2 metres, increasing to 2 to 3 metres during the morning.
Swell Southerly below 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 2 metres during the morning.
Swell Easterly 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing to around 1 metre during the morning, then increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres during the afternoon.
Weather Cloudy. 80% chance of showers.
Sunday, 22/10/2017
Winds Southerly 15 to 20 knots turning southeasterly 10 to 15 knots during the day.
Seas 1 to 2 metres, decreasing to 1 to 1.5 metres during the morning.
Swell Southerly around 1 metre inshore, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres offshore.
Swell Easterly around 1 metre inshore, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres offshore north of Yamba.
Weather Partly cloudy. 40% chance of showers.

The next routine forecast will be issued at: 20/10/2017 03:10

Sun & Moon

SUN
RISE

SUN
SET

MOON
RISE

MOON
SET

Moon Phases

NEW
MOON

FIRST
QTR

FULL
MOON

THIRD
QTR

Oct 20

Oct 28

Nov 04

Nov 11

Current Weather

Coolangatta   19 Oct 19:10

Anemometer Location: Airport. 6m above sea level. 1km from coast.

Wind

NE   11 kts

Gusts

11 kts

Temp

21.9°c

Rain 9am

0.0 mm

Cape Byron   19 Oct 19:10

Anemometer Location: On clifftop. 95m above sea level. On the coast.

Wind

ENE   12 kts

Gusts

15 kts

Temp

20.0°c

Rain 9am

0.0 mm

Ballina   19 Oct 19:10

Anemometer Location: Airport. 1m above sea level. 4km from coast.

Wind

NE   6 kts

Gusts

7 kts

Temp

19.3°c

Rain 9am

0.0 mm

Evans Head   19 Oct 19:10

Anemometer Location: On sand hill. 63m above sea level. 1km from coast.

Wind

N   7 kts

Gusts

8 kts

Temp

18.9°c

Rain 9am

0.0 mm

Yamba   19 Oct 19:10

Anemometer Location: On headland. 29m above sea level. On the coast.

Wind

NNE   8 kts

Gusts

11 kts

Temp

20.2°c

Rain 9am

0.0 mm

Marburg Radar

Light Moderate Heavy
Heavy Moderate Light

Grafton Radar

Light Moderate Heavy
Heavy Moderate Light

Lightning Strikes

Check for Lightning Strikes

Weather radars show rainfall but apart from very dark colours in heavy rainfall echoes, radars don’t show if the rain is coming from storms. To see if there are storms associated with the rain check this lightning tracker.

Lightning data by Blitzortung.org and contributors Blitzortung.org is a free community project. Contact

Satellite Image

Today's Weather Chart

4 Day Outlook Weather Chart